January 17, 2017, changed my writing life. I unintentionally set the stage for the 100k Challenge.
It was the day that I bought Dragon NaturallySpeaking Premium and began dictating my first drafts. I went from 2-3,000 words per day and a one-day record of 6k+ to 3-5,000 words per hour and a record 14k+ in one day.
February 2017, I started and completed my first 100k Challenge ending with over 119k words.
Read more about why I started doing the 100k Challenge here.
Many other authors have joined in since I first announced it in February. We started out keeping track of our progress in the 20Booksto50K writer group on Facebook, which is an awesome group for authors, but so many people asked for a dedicated group that I’ve finally started one. Check out the 100K Challenge Group here.
I encourage you to give it a shot. Especially if you’ve already won a NaNoWriMo, this could be a fun way to level up.
The 100k Writing Challenge
- January 2017 – 95,000+ (Pre-100k Challenge)
- February 2017 – Finished with 119,030 words. First 100k Challenge!
- March 2017 – Finished with 101,121 words.
- April 2017 – Finished with a mere 4,117 words.
- May 2017 – Finished with 105,949 words.
- June 2017 – Finished with 23,888 words. – Mostly editing all these damn words!
- July 2017 – Finished with 85,397 words. – First month as full-time author!
- August 2017 – Finished with 103,278 words.
- September 2017 – Finished with 101,305 words.
- October 2017 – In progress.
- 2014: Wrote first novella – 36,000+
- 2015: Maybe 30,000 (Ugh! Wasted time!)
- 2016: 280,000+ (Far more than 2014/15 combined.)
- 2017: 739,085 (As of October 1st)